Personal Health Information Protection Act
Protecting the Privacy of Your Health Information
At the Mattawa Hospital, we recognize that the health information of our patients deserves to be treated with respect and sensitivity and that our patients’ privacy must be protected. We collect your personal health information from you directly or from the person acting on your behalf. The personal health information we collect maybe include your name, date of birth, address, health history, records of your visits to the Mattawa Hospital and the care you received during those visits, Occasionally, we collect personal health information about you from other sources if we have obtained your consent to do so or if the law permits.
We use personal information for the following purposes:
- To provide the care and treatment you receive while a patient at the Mattawa Hospital;
- To obtain payment for your treatment and care from Service Ontario, WSIB, your private insurance or others;
- To plan, administer, manage and improve our internal operations;
- To conduct risk management and quality improvement activities including completing patient satisfaction survey;
- Compile statistics;
- Ask for support to improve our health care services and programs;
- Comply with legal and regulatory requirements.
We disclose/share your personal health information on a need to know basis with:
- Our staff who need to know to provide your care, including: physicians, nurses, technicians, therapist and other health care professionals;
- Other health care providers who are not our employees, but may be required to assist in providing your health care once you are no longer a patient of the Mattawa Hospital; These may include: Health care practitioners and groups of health care practitioners, public and private hospitals, pharmacies, laboratories, ambulance services, community care access corporations, community service providers, psychiatric facilities, independent health facilities, homes for the aged, rest homes, nursing homes, care homes and homes for special care and community health centres, programs and services who’s primary purposes are providing health care.
We commit to:
- Taking steps to protect your personal health information from theft, loss and unauthorized access, copying, modification, use, disclosure and disposal;
- Monitoring and managing our privacy compliance;
- Taking steps to ensure that everyone who performs services for us protects your privacy and only uses your personal health information for the purposes you have consented to;
- Asking your permission before disclosing any of your information for purposes not related directly to your care (e.g. insurance companies, lawyers, etc…), unless otherwise required by law.
You have the right to:
- withdraw your consent from some of the above uses and disclosures by contacting us;
- Providing you with access to, and the opportunity to, request corrections to your personal health information.
For information about our Privacy Pratices and about accessing or correcting your personal health information, please contact:
Director, Support Services/Health Records
You have the right to complain to the Information & Privacy Commissioner of Ontario if you think we have violated your privacy rights. The Commissioner can be reached at:
Information & Privacy Commissioner of Ontario
2 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400
Toronto ON M4W 1A8